We’re on the lookout for a particular form of a particular person. Somebody who lives to deal with any and all challenges with oodles of optimism and cheerful can-do-ing. Self-motivated, keen about toys and design, they get all of the little particulars proper whereas getting issues finished quick. They’re properly suited to working with different perfectionists, receiving common constructive criticism, and continually tweaking to make issues higher. Finally they’re a born glad employee with a professional-yet-fun angle!
Comfortable Employee is a small entrepreneurial group… there’s extra to do than we now have time for :). The brand new teammate will assist us in carrying extra toys to life and unfold extra happiness!
Design Route (~60%): Working primarily from present belongings, characters, and management paintings, lead and collaborate with freelance sculptors, modellers, painters, and engineers: artwork direct freelance artists and our in-house group to design and prototype new toys and collectables. Using renders, images and in-person evaluations, consider and refine works in progress, with an exacting eye for high-quality particulars.
Toy/Product Design (~20%): Design new toy and collectable ideas, from tight preliminary sketches to exciting 2D designs and mockups. Create 3D digital fashions. Resolve design, technical and enterprise challenges.
Product Growth and Undertaking Administration (~20%): Present design oversight all through all phases of improvement and manufacturing. Help day-to-day product improvement actions – design reqs, price estimating, ideas, prototyping, engineering, budgeting, timelines and deliverables. Like all members of our group, you’ll create, proof, and edit a plethora of paperwork, together with toy specs/necessities, product blueprints, manufacturing guides, checklists, schedules… plus all kinds of different issues.
***Essential: Protecting initiatives on-schedule usually requires work throughout evenings and weekends.
Most exceptional Toy Ever: Guarantee every new toy and collectable we make is our most excellent toy ever.
An Integral Staff Member: Be a key a part of a small, very busy, hard-working, and energetic group. Work collaboratively with teammates in our cosy Toronto HQ (manufacturing/manufacturing, design, and shopper happiness) and our teammates, companions, freelance artists, and factories around the globe.
Multitasking: Handle quite a few design initiatives with a way of urgency, rigorously prioritising workflow to satisfy targets and schedules.
Speaking: Clearly and precisely talk with native teammates in Toronto and abroad companions in Asia, troubleshooting any challenges. Meet with purchasers and manufacturing unit companions.
Studying and Innovating: Analysis and suggest supplies and strategies for brand spanking new toys. Enhance our design and improvement course of, templates, and requirements.
Geek and Market Tendencies: Present perception of artwork/design/improvement developments, geek tradition, toys, and the collectable business.
Inventive Group: Assist nurture our glad creative group— Comfortable Employee’s community of freelance designers, sculptors, modellers, painters, sample makers, and many others.
Touring to China: Some periodic journey to China to work immediately with our manufacturing unit companions if/as wanted.
Cheerful Buyer Service: Assist our shopper happiness group reply to toy-making inquiries by understanding venture objectives, taking part in e-mails/telephone calls, laying out venture choices/specs, creating price range estimates, and making ready toy-making schedules.
Net, Weblog, and Social Media: Assist design and create thrilling share-worthy content material for our web site, weblog, and different social media.
Common Workplace Stuff & Numerous Odd Duties: Assist pitch in for something and every little thing.
Fixed Bettering and Going Above and Past: Make every little thing that we do higher!
Happiness: Convey enjoyable and pleasure to all that you do!
EXPERIENCE + TALENTS
- Gifted Designer and Inventive: Glorious conventional and digital portfolio demonstrating sturdy sketching capability, design and technical abilities; skilled at working in a variety of inventive initiatives/assignments; sturdy experience with Adobe Inventive Suite and with a number of flavors of 3D modeling/digital sculpting/CAD software program; demonstrates right course of methods and skill to assimilate constructive criticism.
- Toy and Product Design Expertise: Expertise designing in a production-oriented atmosphere, ideally with toys, collectables, or aesthetic, excessive element client merchandise; educated with the prototyping and mannequin making a course of, designing to price, and designing for manufacturability whereas pushing standard limits.
- Geek Tradition, Gaming, Toys, and Collectibles: A passionate toy and design fan, with an understanding of and appreciation for geek tradition, gaming, comics, toys, and collectables.
- Properly Rounded, Versatile Work Expertise: When you resolve to use, we will admire seeing a resume that lists all your earlier work experiences – not merely the latest positions or those you’re feeling relate most to this function.\
- Educated with Supplies and Manufacturing Strategies: For instance, 3D printing, injection moulding and plastics, rotational casting, resin moulding and casting, cloth chopping and printing, stitching, portray methods together with washes, dry brushes and airbrushing; short-run prototyping, offset and digital printing, vacuum forming, blow moulding, and many others.
- Element-Pushed Perfectionist: Nice reminiscence for particulars.
- Grasp Organizer: Nice at setting and managing priorities, job lists and schedules.
- Excellent Communicator: Glorious verbal and written communicator; capable of writing detailed however straightforward to grasp emails/paperwork; a terrific listener; capable of getting some extent throughout clearly when working with individuals with totally different cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Professional Drawback Solver: Capable of finding options to challenges, exhibiting common sense and making the not possibly occur.
- Good with Numbers: Is aware of the right way to calculate issues like quantity, scale changes, imperial to metric conversions, and costs-per-unit.
- Tech Savviness: When you resolve to use, point out in your cowl letter which software program you understand and love.
- Education: A post-secondary diploma or diploma in one thing associated with product design or industrial design; *all the time* studying new issues outdoors of faculty and work.
Consolation in Quick-Paced Environments: When you resolve to use, please take a second in your cowl letter to inform us about your busiest work expertise.
- Different Distinctive Abilities: Excessive ironing? Duct tape artistry? Hikaru dorodango? When you resolve to use, tell us what different particular skills or know-how you’d carry to Comfortable Employee. Something goes!\
- One thing we wish to know: Please tell us your favourite toy and favourite snack.
NICE-TO-HAVE (BUT NOT REQUIRED) EXPERIENCE + TALENTS
Educated with Abroad, “Made in China,” Manufacturing: Expertise setting manufacturing necessities and managing engineers remotely, negotiating, and an understanding of Chinese language enterprise tradition; related expertise with venture administration, operations, and logistics.
I understand of QA & QC Testing: Some publicity to QC testing, sampling, AQLs, and business most excellent practices in QA.
Knowledgeable about Social and Regulatory Compliance: Some publicity to lab testing and toy and product security rules (Well being Canada, CPSC/CPSIA, ASTM F963, EN:71).
MORE ABOUT THE ROLE
Employment Sort: It is a full time, permanent place.
Location: Toronto, Ontario. The Comfortable Employee HQ is downtown, at Richmond and Spadina. Our workplace is small, open-concept, and just a little loopy.
Begin Date: The profitable new group member might start instantly, or inside a pair weeks of being employed.
Wage/Compensation: $40Ok to $60Ok, varies on expertise; development alternatives and advantages will probably be supplied after one 12 months.
Workplace Hours: 9 am – 6 pm (typically later) Monday to Friday. Offering glad service to our purchasers/companions and protecting initiatives on-schedule usually means some night and weekend work.
Your Staff Chief: The brand new teammate will report back to Kris Schantz, our co-founder and artistic director.
ABOUT HAPPY WORKER
What We Do: Comfortable Employee designs and manufactures toys and collectables along with lots of the world’s biggest gaming, leisure, and company manufacturers.
Tradition: Hardworking, communicative, dependable, enjoyable, sincere, reflective, self-critical, entrepreneurial, and family-like.
What Motivates Us: Making our subsequent toy our most excellent toy ever; spreading happiness to our purchasers, their followers, and everybody else we are available contact with.
Staff Dimension: We at present have six full-time workers in Toronto and a bunch of contract and freelance teammates in different places. We are going to develop our in-office group to eight to 10 members in 2015.
APPLYING TO BECOME A HAPPY WORKER
To use for this glad mission, please ship an e-mail along with your portfolio, resume, and canopy letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the topic line: “I’d wish to be a Comfortable Toy Designer!” Please additionally embody hyperlinks to or sneak peeks at the rest you are pleased with. Reasonably please guarantee email is lower than 10 MB.
In your cowl letter, please reply to the next Three bonus questions:
- The place do you see your self in 2-Three years?
- Outdoors of faculty and work time, how do you study new issues, and enhance your abilities and data?
- Inform us about what drives you creatively, and the way you scratch your creative itches each at work and on the aspect at the house on private artwork/design initiatives.